Guidance and Resources for Businesses Impacted by Civil Unrest

​​Document and Report
  • If damage or theft occurred, you may submit an online crime report HERE
  • Take photos of everything before doing any clean-up. This includes taking photos of shelves that have been knocked over, inventory on the floor, etc.
  • To the best of your ability, take an inventory of what was destroyed and/or what is missing. Make as comprehensive a list as possible.

Insurance Tips
  • Insurance is the first resource when recovering from any disaster. Open a claim with your insurance carrier to see whether any damages can be covered under policies for riots or vandalism.                       
  • Find out from your insurance agent what is covered by business interruption coverage and or any other itemized disaster coverage listed in the policy.
  • California Department of Insurance can be contacted for assistance by calling (800) 927-4357 or using this form. Also, please refer to Insurance Coverage Fact Sheet for more information. 

Repairs and Boarding Up
  •  Businesses with damaged structures or visible storefronts may board up their locations. The County is not making repairs to or boarding up private property.
  • Broken glass that can be repaired without altering the windows or door frames do not need a permit from the County at this time.
Loans and Grants
  •  The County Office of Emergency Services (OES) is collecting information from local businesses that suffered physical damage or economic injury to be used to seek assistance ​from the United States Small Business Administration (SBA).

Local Resources
  • Expedited Permits: The County Building Department is offering affected applicants access to an expedited building review and permitting process. Contact the County's Chief Building Official, Nancy Springer, at (916) 874-7023 or  for any questions or additional information.
  • Graffiti Removal: Maintenance crews remove or obliterate graffiti on County maintained bridges, soundwalls, overpasses, fences and other County owned property maintained for road purposes. Graffiti on private property is the responsibility of the property owner.  To report graffiti on County maintained property: Call 311 or 875-4311 or report online at .
  • Emergency Alerts: The County has a public emergency alert system that enables authorized County, City, and Special District public safety officials to disseminate public safety information rapidly and efficiently to residents. You can sign up for emergency alerts HERE